Manchester United
Sir Alex Ferguson has already sent clear Kobbie Mainoo warning to Ruben Amorim and Man Utd

It has been just over a year since Sir Alex Ferguson described academy product Kobbie Mainoo as “the heart and soul” of Manchester United and well, circumstances have changed dramatically since.
Once considered the future of United’s midfield for years to come, Mainoo is now open to leaving his boyhood club this summer after growing frustrated at a lack of opportunities under Ruben Amorim.
The central midfielder, who played just two minutes of United’s Europa League final defeat to Tottenham last season, was an unused substitute in their opening two Premier League games against Arsenal and Fulham.
Since rumours surrounding his uncertain future escalated on Monday, a number of clubs have made contact about his availability, as per the Mail, including Spanish giants Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid.
Mainoo, meanwhile, is thought to prefer a move to the continent over a Premier League stay, according to The Athletic,
The 20-year-old, who penned a new contract last year until June 2027, looks on the verge of leaving United – a scenario which seemed almost unthinkable following his breakthrough campaign under Erik ten Hag.
Sir Alex Ferguson was one of many to heap praise on Mainoo, as well as fellow academy product Alejandro Garnacho, when he spoke to Jamal Niaz in 2024.
Asked about the impact they made during their debut campaigns, Ferguson said: “It’s the foundation isn’t it? It’s the heart and soul of what Manchester United has been since the days of Sir Matt Busby, who started the whole process of trusting young players.
“They’re young. What they’re showing at the moment, the composure and confidence to play in the first team, and not be daunted by it. In a way, it shows you the kind of courage they have.”
He added: “It’s a distinction in human beings, some have the will to be that [fearless at a young age].”
Mainoo has yet to feature in the Premier League for United this season. Image credit: GettyMainoo has yet to feature in the Premier League for United this season. Image credit: Getty
Chelsea are long-term admirers of Mainoo and are currently one of the favourites to snap up the England international.
Ferguson, on the other hand, would have never allowed such a transfer to happen during his spell at Old Trafford as the Scot and David Gill, United’s former chief executive, had a policy of never selling an important player to one of their Premier League rivals.
Gill revealed his stance after United turned down a £6 million bid from Liverpool for defender Gabriel Heinze in 2012.
“On Monday night we received a written offer and we’ve rejected that. It was a significant offer. But we rejected it because it’s Liverpool. We wouldn’t sell a player to Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea,” Gill said at the time.
“We’ve relayed that to the agent in no uncertain terms. I couldn’t have been clearer. If the club were still a plc it might be different, but we don’t have some of those pressures now.
-
Manchester United5 months ago
Manchester United fired off more than 22 attempts trying to find the net against Nottingham Forest, with one player squandering around six clear opportunities without scoring. Ruben Amorim was visibly frustrated, publicly calling out a Manchester United star for failing to convert even once, despite facing an unguarded goal on multiple occasions.
-
Manchester United5 months ago
BREAKING NEWS: “Isak Has Agreed to Join Man United… BUT Only If They Allow That Guy to Join Us!” – Eddie Howe’s Shocking Transfer Demand Stuns Fans.
-
Liverpool5 months ago
LFC TRANSFER UPDATES LIVE Liverpool open to selling ( 7) players this summer, including £50 million star who Arne Slot claimed is ‘important’
-
Real Madrid5 months ago
I have warned Carlo Ancelotti about that particular player, he refused to bench him, He keeps causing problems to the teams, He Almost Denied Real Madrid three points against Real Sociedad after taking the lead in the Copa del Rey Semi Finals “: Former Real Madrid Legend Cristiano Ronaldo names ONE player who doesn’t deserve to start for Real Madrid, warned Ancelotti about the unforgivable mistake
-
Liverpool5 months ago
Real Madrid are discussing a move to appoint former Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp as their new manager if Carlo Ancelotti steps away and takes over Brazil.
-
Premier League5 months ago
Premier League Shock: Manager Sacked Amid Season Struggles”
-
Liverpool5 months ago
Alexander Isak to Liverpool swap deal option emerges as transfer pathway clears
-
Barcelona3 months ago
FIFA officially announces Barcelona will play in the FINAL—and Inter Milan have been KICKED OUT… after referee Szymon Marciniak was ARRESTED in a stunning late-night operation!…